The Integration Hub offers a single integration point to exchange file-based communication between Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central and other systems. This type of integration is often required for Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) or shopfloor integrations. This app allows the configuration of workflow-driven integration together with no-code data exchange definitions.
The Integration Hub is available from Business Central 14.0 onwards. You can use the extension in on-prem and SaaS environments. We currently maintain all versions with new features and enhancements.
Integration Hub Action Group
The app adds an action group called Integration Hub has been added to the following role centers:
- Business Manager
- Accounting Manager
- Admin Role Center (used by IT Manager Profile)
This activities part provides information on the messages that have been processed and alerts you to any errors.
EDI Fields and Processing
This app also includes additional features to support typical EDI scenarios, including:
- Converting third-party Item Units of Measures to Sales Units of Measures
- Identifying price differences, including workflows to support the approval of these variances
EDI Quantity/Price Variance and Sales Price Override Approvals
Configuring a workflow to approve EDI Quantity/Price Variances or Sales Price Overrides is possible.
Integration Hub Setup
- Sales Price Field ID – this is the field used to compare to the EDI Unit Price. If not specified, then the unit price is used. This field is required for other extensions with enhanced pricing (such as the Sales Unit Price from Advanced Sales).
- *Net Price Computation- – this field drives how the Net Unit Price is calculated on the sales line. It is either calculated after line discounts or after line discounts and invoice discounts.
- EDI Unit Price Tolerance (+/-) – specifies a tolerance that is allowed between the EDI Price and the Sales Price Field.
- Track Sales Price Changes – specifies that the sales line is updated to reflect if the sales price on the sales line has changed. The effect is that the sales lines will show if the price or discount is altered by a user and reflect if there are price/order multiple issues. Changing this field also runs an update to update the sales lines and sales headers.
Sales Line - Additional Fields
The sales line has additional fields to store the incoming EDI values as the units of measure may differ from what we sell. In addition to these fields, the following is also added:
- EDI Variance – this field specifies the type of variance. The caption changes depending on whether you are tracking sales price changes. The field is automatically updated if there are EDI Variances, the order got created from EDI, and when a price or discount is changed. If you drill down on this field, you can see the details of variances and changes made to the sales prices.
- EDI Quantity, EDI Unit Of Measure, EDI Unit Price – used for comparisons to actual prices. The underlying logic allows you to map EDI fields to these, and these fields update the standard fields.
- Calculated Unit Price and Calculated Line Discount – these fields are hidden. When the sales price calculation is triggered, these values are updated and are used to track changes to the actual values.
The sales header has additional fields to show the EDI/Price Variance Status. This field can also be used as a condition in workflows if you would like to implement an approval process around EDI Variances and Price Changes.
The app adds workflow responses to handle the approval of EDI/Price Variances. You can create a new workflow using the sales order approval template.
- Approval of a sales document is requested:- Document Type: Order, Status: Open, EDI Variance Status: ‘ ‘| Approval Required, EDI Qty/Price Variance: Yes
- An approval request for a sales document is cancelled: Document Type: Order, Status: Open, EDI Variance Status: Pending Approval
- Approve one or more price/order multiple variances on a sales order (Integration Hub)
- Cancel an EDI Variance approval on a sales order (Integration Hub)
- Change the EDI Variance Status on a sales order to Pending Approval (Integration Hub)
- Reject an EDI Variance approval on a sales order (Integration Hub)
When configuring these approval workflows, do not create record restrictions and do not change the status of the sales order.
Test Data added to Artifacts
It is possible to download sample setup and data to perform testing in a demonstration company (Cronus). The sample configuration includes:
- An API Endpoint configured as an internal grid
- An Inbound Integration Handler configured to create a sales order from an xml file
- Outbound Integration Handlers configured to:
- Export items when they are modified. This example includes configuration to send the data to multiple endpoints.
- Export a sales order confirmation after processing an inbound message for a sales order
The purpose of this data is to provide working examples for a Cronus environment.